Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

Thank You, Mr Lee Kuan Yew

Most of my peers in the UK probably don't know who Mr Lee Kuan Yew is, or probably don't care because they feel it doesn't concern them.


But he is Singapore's- my country's- founding father and he is someone I really respect and look up to.


His methods may not be popular, but they work. What people deem as sacrifices i.e. limited freedom of speech, autocratic rule... I see it as nothing compared to the freedom we have in other areas.


In the UK, I'm afraid to go out on my own when the sky gets dark, I'm constantly worried about break-ins (my house was raided by a staff member, fun times), getting robbed or stabbed on the street, and I feel infinitely vulnerable because of my sex.


I don't think I've wished so much to be male before coming to Manchester.

Of course, it's not all that bad here- strong culture, nightlife, the people are so friendly and helpful, but that's beside the point now.

Mr Lee Kuan Yew has led Singapore to become the successful nation it is today in just 30 years- Singapore is now recognised worldwide and he's a role model to many world leaders like the numerous USA presidents, Deng Xiaoping, Putin, etc.

He passed away peacefully at 91, leaving behind a successful nation and the respect of the world.


The world is less bright without you.


Rest in peace, Mr Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment